gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


Full Time Gradult

One of the toughest aspects of being a gradult is the constant effort it takes to lift yourself from the gradult status. We have enjoyed guest writers wax lyrical about the joys of Gradulthood, the freedom that comes with not having a career based job and the opportunities that can present themselves because of this, but all gradults must be striving to get a foothold in a career they can see themselves excelling in. Perhaps the beauty of Gradulthood is the fact that it is the last stage in life that affords this freedom before we all knuckle down and start saving up for toasters and boilers rather than trips to South America. After Gradulthood I don’t think I’ll go travelling again until at least my mid life crisis, and a self loathing fortnight in Bangkok with my twenty two year old mistress is never going to be as fun as America ’10.

The reality is nobody is going to get you a job but yourself and in this economic climate this can cause considerable frustration for the average gradult. They say that ‘getting a job is a full time job’, well that’s all very well, but I have a full time job as it is and I’m not talking about my current precarious position in charge of Tottenham on Fifa, that’s a whole different headache. There is an element of truth in this though, if a gradult wants to get a job, especially in the creative sector they have got to be prepared to be proactive. But boy is it draining.
It’s draining applying for internships when you know you’re up against hundreds of candidates, its draining sending out speculative emails when an automated response would probably be a result because at least it’s a response and its draining coming back from a hard shift knowing you can’t just relax because there is more work still to be done. This is the tough side to being a gradult. I said earlier that no-one can get you a job but yourself but this is not strictly true, every gradult needs someone to give them that first slither of an opportunity, then it’s up to the gradult to run with it. The only way of getting out of the ‘can’t get experience because I have no experience’ conundrum is to keep knocking on enough doors until someone opens one just enough to get your foot in.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joseph,

    Long time reader (well since Gradulthood started) and not felt the urge to comment until reading your post. As what I think can be called a fairly old Gradult (been one for 2 years now), I feel where you are coming from. There is no one who can get you the job apart from yourself. It is exhausting sending off speculative e-mails and filling out endless forms for internships and hearing nothing back.

    As a fellow Gradult trying to break into the Creative industry, I have had moderate success with interships and speculative e-mails. I've even freelanced and got paid for the work I did but am yet to land that full time job. I've had so many feet in doors but yet the propsective employers still seem to ram the door shut severing my foot off in the process (metaphorically of course). And this isn't down to me doing a rubbish job, like you stated I took the slither of oppourtunity and ran with it. I freelanced at one place for a good year and a half but never got offered that permanent job. At all the freelance jobs I've done I've always been given great feedback and praise but still come out with my hands empty.

    My point is even if you run with the opportunity someone gives you, the harsh truth is that due to the economic climate they can not offer you what your heart longs for. I'm not saying give up not in the slightest as banging on doors did give me some work. I just thought I would give my two pence worth on a Gradult who has seen the other side of the creative fence.

    Loving the blogs so keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    Thanks for the comment, really made my day! Great to know there are people out there reading the stuff we're putting up, out of interest, how did you stumble accross us?

    You describe yourself as a 'fairly old gradult' at two years... I graduated in 2009 and look to have a couple of years ahead of me! Think a two year old gradult is fairly young these days!

    I appreciate what you're saying about the economic climate affecting the amount of opportunities out there, I can only imagine what it would of been like if we'd of all graduated a couple of years previous, I doubt this this blog would be up and running. It does sound like you've had some success with the freelance work though, that must count for something when trying to nail down that elusive permanent position? You're certainly ahead of me in the pecking order at the moment, I'm very much trying to get on the first rung of the ladder. Why do they make it so slippery!?

    Do you have any advice on how to get freelance work?

    Again thanks for the comment and if you want to contribute any articles to the site then feel free! - joseph.richardson88@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joseph,

    Apologies for the delay in response , I've been fighting off the man flu the passed few days. Anyway my responses to your questions...

    Freelance work does get your name out there and people realise what you can do. I've been offered something in the future but nothing ever came of it. You've got to have tough skin in the media industry and just take what your are given and hope one day that permanent job reveals itself.

    To be honest I don't think I'm even on the first rung of the ladder, I think I have my little finger just gripping at the moment :-)

    The best advice I was given about getting work in the media industry was have as many strings to your bow as possible, learn everything or as much as you can. The more versatile you are the more likely you are to be picked up. Also be persitant but polite, as you can imagine media moguls get thousands of e-mails and letters a day from people wanting to get that first step. However these are often flashes in the pan and once they don't hear anything back they give up. But if your name is constantly popping up in their inbox say every couple of weeks of every month they are more likely to get back to you. As I said though be polite about it. Yes it is annoying that they don't even give you a chance but maintain a steady head as everyone knows everyone in the media industry and if give a bad impression to one person then the rest will know about it as well. It is treading that fine balance of showing passion for the work and just plain stalking them.

    Hope that advice helps and keep up this blog as it is brilliant. I may e-mail you at some point about an article but until then good luck in your adventures :-)

    ReplyDelete