gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


Gradult forever? (written by David McCourt)

Today is a pleasant day. I woke up at 10am (a little later than usual) and stumbled downstairs to the pot of hot coffee my adult housemates had left for me during their Monday morning grind. I buttered a couple of slices of toast whilst I sipped my brew and thought about the lyrics to ‘Park Life’ by Blur, as I usually do on these kinds of mornings. I showered, dressed, and popped down to my local coffee shop with my laptop to check my emails. It’s where I am sat now, contemplating life.

But why am I telling you this? You don’t care, right? Well start caring, because I’ve got a point to make. Truth is, I’ve got a degree but no career. I believe this is more commonly known as gradulthood.

I’ve been a gradult for two years now, and I’m about to make a case for it being the best stage of your life. Let’s looks at this for a second. So, I spend my working weekdays making coffees and serving cakes, doing crosswords and wearing jeans instead of trousers. But, I live in the desirable area of Chorlton in Manchester. In the last two years I’ve traveled North America, Central Europe, Africa, skied in the French Alps, cycled to Berlin, and more. And no, I don’t have a sugar daddy funding my lifestyle. I’m not after a Pride of Britain award or anything, but I can only do this because of my gradult social status.

I live an almost completely stress free life. Instead of worrying about my pay scale or how I’m performing within the company ladder, I’m worrying should I get Americano or Cappuccino.

Now obviously, I understand that this can’t last forever. Everybody has to grow up and get a ‘real’ job at some point, and spend the rest of their lives going to dinner parties with their other halves to talk about mortgages, children and how much they enjoyed their two week break in the Bahamas because it was so relaxing. But what’s the rush? Am I crazy for thinking that we should all just slow down a bit? I love gradulthood. I want it to last forever. An employer would tell you that I lack ambition, drive - the things that are needed to make it in the working world. But a 26-year-old gradult once explained to me that nothing really matters. Your life isn’t really worth anything, nobody’s is. Therefore the only point of being alive is to enjoy the moment, and if you’re not enjoying this moment right now, then you might as well be dead!

It’s an extreme ideology I admit, but he’s living the life in Canada at the moment, what are you doing? I say take a leaf out of my friend’s book, embrace gradulthood, because these are the greatest days of your life. That’s what’s really depressing, not the fact that you can’t get a job.

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff! I tasted this part of gradulthood last year and miss it daily. The only real plus points to moving back home are fiscal, during the last 3 weeks I spent £40.. Enjoyed the part about living in the moment, think people are far too eager to grow up these days, remember the old addage, be young whilst your young.. Having said that i've stayed in for the last 3 weekends..

    ReplyDelete