gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


A Brief Prologue #3

“We read your details with great interest, but regret to inform you that, in this instance, we will not be proceeding with your application.”

If you have the time to read this obscure blog, in the corner of the World Wide Web, that (at the time or writing anyway) can’t even be found on Google, then I am sure you are all too familiar with this standard issue job rejection. Another assumption is that like us, you are a recent University Graduate - well welcome to the club…

Hi, my name is James and I graduated from the same class as Joseph and Michael, and I’m unemployed. Following graduation and a couple of adventures, I found a job in a debt collections agency. After a year of hassling the borrowers I decided to relocate to Manchester in search of a career rather than a job. This had led to little success.

This week I have been mulling over the prospect of copying one of my friends and training to become a pilot. He qualified two years ago and really does have the dream job; jetting off all over the world, working two or three days a week for seven months a year and earning roughly double the average graduate salary while he’s at it. He is definitely no longer a gradult. This decision should be a no brainer but of course Ronny Recession has to intervene doesn’t he! Nowadays ‘in the current economic climate’, airlines are not sponsoring cadets and, like most industries, there is a shortage of jobs - meaning that the £80,000 that pilot schools charge has to be coughed up by the student, when there is no guarantee of a job at the end of it.

I discovered this just as the government announced the proposed increase in tuition fees. This along with high unemployment and spending cuts means that there are only going to be more people competing for the few jobs which are available…will my degree give me the edge? Time will tell.