gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


A Brief Prologue #2

Hi, my name’s Michael, I graduated from the University of Leeds in 2009 with a 2.1 in Geography, and I’m unemployed. It was way back in May 2009 when I took my last dose of education. If I remember correctly, it was about 2pm, it was a warm spring day, and after just over 17 years, I turned my back on it and haven't touched a drop since.

As I mentioned, I’m unemployed, but the term I actually prefer to use is ‘voluntarily unemployed’. For me, this is a term for people who aren’t on the dole, who feel they could get a job in say, a restaurant, but choose not to. ‘Prove it’ I hear you say. Well, for my sins, I’ve decided to pursue a career in the media industry, which means that it’s not quite that easy. If I want to get this dream job I need to undertake various unpaid work placements before anyone will even consider hiring me on a half decent wage.

Does this sound like I’m complaining? I hope it doesn’t because I’m not. Since graduation I’ve spent a year working in a restaurant (which I really enjoyed, and now miss…), and I travelled in South America for a couple of months, but now I’m intent upon realizing my ambition of working in television production.

In between undertaking work experience, the all important networking, and applying for more schemes than you can shake a stick it, I’m going to write my thoughts on life as a gradult, and anything else that takes my fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment