gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


A brief post from the internet wilderness

In the week since my enforced sabbatical from Gradulthood it seems we have become a one stop shop for all things TEFL. Tales of early morning battles with lacklustre showers in South America, to grappling with the past tense in a room full of Korean children. It’s always good to hear from our foreign correspondents.

The reason for my lack of posting is the classic case of new house internet blues, although this case is perhaps my most frustrating yet.

For some reason my laptop has decided against connecting to the router. Actually, that’s misleading, it’s more than happy to acknowledge the wireless provider is there, it even goes as far as telling me connection is excellent. It just has a problem with letting me on the internet. Naively, I thought connection to one led to connection to the other. Apparently not. What annoys me most is I know for a fact that if I passed my laptop over to someone with more than a basic knowledge of computers they would get me online in minutes. They would change some setting and I’d be made to look silly. But I’d be online, so I wouldn’t care.

I’ve done everything in my power to sort the problem. I’ve unplugged the router, I’ve swore at it, I’ve even stared at it blankly for extended periods of time. And yet my time in the internet wilderness drags on.

I’m currently writing this from my desk at work whilst my boss is on the phone so I apologise for the rushed nature of the post. Naturally, I apologise for the content too. 200 words about my wireless connection really isn’t good enough. I’ll be writing about my dreams next.

Anyway, I’m in provisional talks with my new next door neighbours about jumping onto their connection, sort of like a wireless lodger, so hopefully I will be able to return with some legitimate articles in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment