gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


A Gradult works on a Sunday

I’ve always found it hard to be productive on a Sunday. Admittedly, this is usually down to the first few hours being lent to the end of Saturday. But that’s not always the case. I’ve always said if I was marooned on a desert island I would still know when it was a Sunday. I’d just find myself on the beach watching the sea with a faint sense of discontent hanging over me. There would be no raft building that day – my desert island experience is based almost exclusively on Tom Hanks in Castaway. Wilson would be getting short change out of me. If we’re talking a Lost scenario then Matthew Fox would be particularly tiring. I’d probably just hang out with Hurley and eat wild boars whole, or whatever it was that allowed him to keep that weight on after months without a takeaway in two thousand miles.

On a Sunday afternoon I just prefer to do not much at all. By the time it gets dark I feel like it’s just a stay of execution before Monday morning begins. Can we just get it out the way already?

This Sunday has seen me having to work all afternoon on my toughest copywriting assignment yet. We have been designing a recruitment package for a well know British bank. With the deadline on Tuesday and each section taking me almost twice as long as I had originally bargained for, there was no alternative but to put in a weekend shift.

With the televised game involving Stoke and all my temporary housemates at work, it’s not like I had a lot on my plate anyway. I hope the time has been spent wisely. Only the introduction and some headings remain to be done now but as someone new to the job I never feel fully confident in the result until my boss has looked over it.

This confidence is something that can only come with experience. When people ask me what I do now and I say ‘I’m a copywriter’ it is often without much conviction. Four weeks ago I worked in a call centre and I was trying to be a copywriter, now it seems I am one? It almost feels like I’m tempting fate. The next question is invariably, what does a copywriter do? Again my answers leave a lot to be desired. Ask a real copywriter! I’ve been doing this a month!

Last night I was asked this question and delivered what I thought was an informative, if slightly rambling reply. Two hours passed when the conversation of whether the design of a Frisbee was patented. Ask Joe, he’s the copywriter!

Wrong type of copywriting mate! Next time I’ll just tell them to Wikipedia it.

No comments:

Post a Comment