gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


Now Thats What I Call Thrift: #23

It doesn’t cost anything to rent the step outside of Phones4u; a park bench isn’t falling into any council tax bands and your utility bills are none existent. And don’t try telling me the Big Issue isn’t a cash cow.

Welcome to Thrift 23: Become Homeless.

Ok, that first paragraph is slightly misleading. Since my move to London I have been technically homeless. The fact that I’m blogging in front of an electric heater whilst waiting for an episode of the 'American Office' to buffer tells me I’m coping with it admirably. Maybe ‘technically’ should have been in bold.

London is so big that most gradults, like myself, will have a various friends and family in the city to accommodate them until they find their own place. But what happens if that option disappears? If I suddenly have a John Galliano fall from grace then things could get very uncomfortable. Thankfully we don’t share the same opinion on Jewish people. Or hair for that matter. A fifty year old man with pigtails? Give him six months for that as well.

There are negatives to being a homeless gradult, you can’t navigate your way to the bathroom in the dark, every meal has to be bought separately, and living out a bag means most of my shirts have more creases than a pre-op Michael Douglas.

But Thrift Thursday isn’t about home comforts. It’s about cold, hard savings. Well, let's talk money then, so far my three weeks without a fixed abode have saved me in the region of £400. What’s more people are happy to play host for a few days. Cheeky bottle of wine as a thank-you gift and everyone comes out smiling. Especially your bank balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment