gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


When does the gradult end and the freelance begin?

Who am I? What's my job title? And what does it all mean...?
Over the last couple of months both Michael and I have made the transition from gradults to freelancers. Such is the nature of the job it’s almost impossible to distinguish between the two. If I was Carrie Bradshaw then at this point the camera would pan out and I would be sitting cross legged in my underwear typing when does the gradult end and the freelancer begin?

FYI that’s the last Sex and City reference for at least a month now. It’s getting a little too frequent from a man who mainly used to watch the show as a young teenager with the sound on mute. If you are reading this Darren Starr, for a show with sex in the title there is an awful lot of talking in restaurants, I’m just saying. Sex sells, but false advertising is illegal.


I’m almost a freelancer by technicality, however the bulk of my work will come through one company. But the uncertainties faced by freelancers just starting out are the same. Too much work one week can quickly turn into not enough the following; it’s an industry where long term thinking is impossible at first.

With this in mind I feel I might have made a rash decision. Buoyed by a successful day at the office I changed my job status on Facebook to Writer (self employed). I thought it would conjure up images of a modern day wordsmith, nobly making ends meet with nothing more than a pen and some imagination. My friends didn’t need to know its mainly writing copy for pharmaceutical companies and banks.

But with only seven weeks of guaranteed full time work left this could prove very costly. Should I have to, how do I broach the subject removing it? Joseph Richardson is no longer listed as a writer (self employed) doesn't look quite as good.

I know what you’re thinking, change it on a Saturday night when the only people online are those that probably aren't worth impressing anyway. Naive. Apart from the odd ‘Is soo drunk’ status Saturday night is a graveyard on the feed. Then what happens when the Sunday morning crowd starts gathering, they’re a judgmental bunch. No, what you want to do is wait until an event happens that just begs for a status then bury it. I remember when there was a minor earthquake in Leeds - Facebook went mental. That’s the type of event I’m going to need. That’s the type of event that will lead some people to doing an *insert earthquake gag here* status. Is that a knowing sideways glance at everyone’s need to comment on the earthquake or have you not got anything of note to say about it? Either way, it bores me.

Or I could just wait until The Inbetweeners comes back on air and hide it in amongst the whole script being posted.

Anyway, we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. If the work is there then great, if it’s enough for part time then we’ll see what my options are and if it’s not then I’ll look back on three months of valuable, paid experience. Such is the life of a gradult. And a freelancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment