gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


Now Thats What I Call Thrift #30

What's their hummus range looking like?
Each week the thrift franchise gives gradults the tools to save their valuable cash. But what for? So you can just delay handing it over to some unscrupulous conglomerate you capitalist groupies. No, not this time. This is 2011; can we get a social conscience up in here please? Plus, every blogger knows, if you want to win awards, you’ve got to go green.

So without further ado, I give you Thrift 30: Embrace Freeganism

I one met Wayne Rooney backstage at a prostitution convention. He was the special guest speaker but he still took time out to chat with me. He imparted: ‘Practice what you preach’. Now I respect that. And I’ve always tried to adhere to all of my thrift rules, granted the ‘Gellar rule’ section on my online backing is more of a symbolic gesture at the moment, but it’s there isn’t it? But this one could be tough.


Freeganism first came to my attention at university through one of my lecturers. The movement describes itself as ‘an anti-consumerist ethic about eating’. In more detail than I’m able to offer after a heavy Easter weekend it goes on to discuss alternatives to paying for food such as ‘bin diving’, ‘wild foraging’, ‘skipping’ (getting stuff from skips, not walking jauntily) and ‘plate scraping’.

What gradult would rather get some convenient, fresh food from Tesco when they could be out wild foraging? In all fairness, if I went to Clapham Common tomorrow at dawn I’d be able to pick up enough abandoned BBQ’s to keep me going for weeks.

It’s the ‘plate scraping’ suggestion that I think could scare off a lot of pampered gradults. I know what you’re thinking, I’m thinking it too: other people’s plates? If I walk into my local Nando’s and start scraping half eaten pieces of chicken into a paper bag I’m going to be getting free food at Her Majesty's expense anyway. Pretty sure that’s illegal rather than just frowned upon.

So if gradults want to fight out of their consumerist prison and save themselves a couple of quid, stop playing around at the reduced section and start playing in the big leagues. That row of skips has your name on it, and its self service.

Now has anyone seen my iPod, not that one, my new one?

No comments:

Post a Comment