gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


A Gradult in Europe: Milan

Admittedly it doesn't relate to Gradulthood, but myself and Joe are both heading to different cities this weekend to watch football matches and take in anything else the cities have to offer. With this in mind we decided to do a little preview of our trips. First up, Joe.
Where are you going?
James Richardson / Joseph Richardson. Same difference.
On Thursday night I will be donning my three year old, £12 winter coat and heading to the fashion capital of the world, Milan. Clearly, I am not going for the fashion. Instead I am going to be taking in the spectacle of AC Milan versus Fiorentina at one of the great, old European stadiums, the San Siro. Standing in Heathrow in late August, if you’d have told me I would have been back in an airport in just over three months I would have laughed in your face, but my friend asked and with Ryanair offering a return to Milan for £32, what you gonna do?
What are you expecting?
I have visited Milan before on a brief leg on the great 'European Rail Trip of 2008'. My only real memories are having a McDonalds for breakfast and spending the night in a hostel which felt suspiciously like the spare room of a Chinese family's flat. Therefore I am expecting the opportunity to experience more of what Milan has to offer. Having said that I imagine most of my time will be spent drinking European lager, eating pizza and perfecting my James Richardson impression.
Extra Curricular Activities?
According to the ever reliable 'Time Out Magazine', go to Milan and if you only do one thing, make sure you see the majestic Last Supper painting. I did the research and its 25 Euros for a 15 minute timeslot, so that’s out. What? I saw it on the Da Vinci code. I will instead be making sure I marvel at the Duomo of Milan, posing in front of at least five of its 3,500 statues. I also intend to peruse theAntiquariato sul Naviglio Grande, a canal side market of epic proportions which happens to fall on the weekend of my visit; I hope to snag some sort of pretentious artwork. The "world famous Hollywood Disco" located minutes from our accommodation is naturally a must.

No comments:

Post a Comment