gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


Now Thats What I Call Thrift #16

You know what, keep her in jail actually. She bores me.
#savethethrift

In my youth I remember Deirdre from Corrie being unlawfully imprisoned for a while. The British public took it upon themselves to organise a campaign and the ‘Free Deirdre Rachid’ movement was born. The nineties must have been a joyous time if the only protests were to free lanky, sour faced, fictional characters. Happily, the campaign worked and Deirdre was free to return to Ken’s loving arms. If I know Ken Barlow and I think I do, their reunion night probably consisted of them both watching Newsnight whilst Blanche muttered racist remarks at the television, and the embers of a long forgotten game of wist sat mournfully on the kitchen table. That or they were at it all night.


The point of this gambit is to emphasise this – campaigns work. Just ask Jamie Oliver. He successfully campaigned to make school dinners healthier and now children nationwide can enjoy a boring salad to go with their boring maths lesson. What’s my post double science treat now Oliver eh? An apple? Might as well start smoking shall I?

Last week it was announced that the Thrift franchise had its head on the metaphorical chopping board. And the internet exploded with righteous indignation. Twitter was awash with #savethethrift hash tags, I’m not saying it was trending but at one point I saw two of them. In the face of such public support and after a flurry of emails amongst the Gradulthood bloggerati it was announced that the blogs oldest franchise would continue. A beacon of cost cutting in these times of austerity, a justification for cheap skates everywhere and a handbook of budgeting for the underachieving gradult, viva the movement, viva the thrift. Normal service resumes next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment