gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


Gradults 1 - 1 CVs

Every so often I hear about CVs which, for the purposes of this post, I’ve decided to call ‘gimmick CVs’. Also known as a creative CV, this alternative overview of a person’s life and qualifications can come in many forms, including; bin bags, sandwich boards, public transport maps and even a collection of Kit Kat wrappers.

Last week, I came across one such CV which was in the style of a jigsaw puzzle. I guess the idea being that, by putting all the pieces together, you get the full picture? Or some such metaphor. Anyway, it had a big picture of the person's face on the box, it was packaged like any other jigsaw, had pieces like any other jigsaw, and must have cost a small fortune!

This left me wondering, in this competitive climate, are gradults spending less time describing every job they’ve ever had in a few sentences, and more time thinking of clever ways to present their information? I've no idea, but here's a selection of gimmick CVs I've come across, and some I Googled:

  • Firstly, my good friend (and Gradulthood guest writer) Pete Kelly applied for a job writing gig reviews with, wait for it, his CV in the style of a gig review! Brilliant. You can view it here.
  • Whilst I was working in a restaurant, someone handed in a CV in the style of a menu. Now I’m sure this has been done many times before, but as I’d never seen one I was pretty impressed. As far as I can remember we all spent time looking over the menu/CV, and the guy did get an interview, but not the job.
  • If this guy got a job from his advert in the Toronto Financial Times then fair play. Seeing is believing for this one, but to tempt you in, the title is 'Former Marijuana Smuggler'. My favourite part is the opening line, “having successfully completed a ten-year sentence…”
  • After a bit of research it seems creative CVs are essential for jobs where creativity is key. Here is a selection of 20. I think the 3rd one is my particular favourite.
All the advice seems to advise gradults against creative/gimmick CVs by the way, but who listens to advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment