gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


Gradults 0 -2 Blogging

The internet is a graveyard for blogs. For every decent blog on the world wide web, there must be five that have fallen by the wayside, probably more. Type in any subject you can think of and Blogger will have something to offer you. Pages and pages about family pets that lasted a couple of weeks before the owner realised dogs only do about one thing worth talking about a year. Endless blogs trying to emulate Carrie Bradshaw that usually last a matter of days before the author realises that Sheffield just isn’t New York. Added to this, every other middle class family in America seems to have a blog documenting various shades of the mundane.

A blog doesn’t just die though. It takes too much effort to start one to just let it fade away (trust me, I know). The life span of a blog usually follows a fairly rigid pattern. The honeymoon period is fine; posts come thick and fast as you settle into your role as the never-going-to-be-Perez-Hilton. Then come the post-honeymoon blues. The blogging hangover. The realisation that you need to come up with a new post every-other day starts to sink in. However, if your blog has anything of note to say you’ll get over this panic and settle into cruise control.

Blogging is Darwinism at its finest though. Now he must have been a clever guy to come up with all that survival of the fittest stuff, but get him on a computer and I bet he wouldn’t have a clue what to do. Overrated. Some blogs will inevitably fall by the wayside. Maybe a month will go by and nothing. Six weeks and then a meek apology message claiming that blogging restarts now! Another two weeks of silence and then the comeback starts. A week of posts before the blog nestles in with Myspace in the internet wastelands. Is Myspace now a gallery of emos who have since left the family home and realised black hair and a blonde fringe is never conducive to an attractive hairstyle?

The reason I write all this is because in a way this is my apology message. An acceptance that posts have been less forthcoming from myself since I moved south. I apologise - a hundred times I apologise. My permanent sense of the temporary has left me unable to commit the time it takes to give Gradulthood the attention it deserves. I began by documenting my search for accommodation but after a couple of nights scraping the barrel of Gumtree I realised my time was better spent looking for a place rather than writing about it. When my immediate future becomes a bit more settled I will be able to offer more, more regularly. Until then, I’ll give as much as I can. Plus I write for a living now so whose paying me for this?

No comments:

Post a Comment