gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


Two peas in a podcast

Guest written by Tom Boston (@tomboston), about life with a degree in Drama, and why he decided to start a podcast:

'I’m not great at first impressions. Meeting new people scares me. I find the pressure to come across well far too overwhelming and nine times out of ten I become a rambling fool. Maybe it’s because I know that eventually I’m going to have to tell the person I’m talking to that I’m a graduate with a degree in drama. I think trying to explain to people why I did a drama degree is one my least favourite things to do. I try and justify it when my only real reason is I enjoy it. Is there any better reason that that? It was the best three years of my life, I learnt more whilst at university than I’ve done in my whole life. Met some fantastic people and my passion for writing, directing and performing made my realise it‘s what I want to do as a career. But as we know, times are hard. Turns out having a drama degree during a recession is not all that useful.

“I’ve got a drama degree.” This sentence seems to bring a confused look on the faces of everyone I meet. “What have you done with that drama degree?” they ask. I explain I’ve been working in retail ever since graduating.

Sounds depressing so far right? Wrong. What does a drama degree and a part-time job in retail give you? Time. I have lots of time on my hands. Which is why I teamed up with a fellow drama graduate to record a weekly podcast, something we’ve both always wanted to do. We finally have enough time on our hands to put everything into making it as good as it can possibly be. We like to think it’s pretty funny but obviously you’ll be the judges of that.

So there you go. Would I be making a podcast if I hadn’t have gone to university? Probably not. Is that a good thing? Well, we’ll see how the podcast is received and go from there eh.'

No comments:

Post a Comment