gra-dult-hood n.

1. A stage in life between graduation and adulthood.
2. Gradulthood often involves jobs that don't fulfil a graduate's expectations.
3. A term coined during the recession.


A Gradult in Milan: The return.

I haven't uploaded my own photo's yet..
And I’m back. A slightly poorer, more cultured version of the man who left just four days ago. Milan charmed me like it has done countless tourists before, the architecture, restaurants and tourist spots oozed that European city charm which British cities can often fail to replicate.

Let me count the ways in which I love Milan. Well for one, the public transport is a dream, a three euro ticket on the metro gives you the freedom of the city and the service is so efficient it won’t have to take you on a moonlit tour of the Duomo to make you fall in love with it. Speaking of the Duomo, the cathedral is a majestic thing, so grand in stature but fine in detail that it if you leave without making it the background on your phone you’re a stronger man than myself. Unfortunately the ‘canal side market of epic proportions’ failed to materialise due to unforeseen scheduling issues (it’s on this Sunday, I can’t read a calendar) and this activity was replaced with cards and cans of premium lager, the final Italian card games taking place in the garden of a retirement home in Old Milan incidentally.


The reason we went to Milan was for the football and it did not disappoint. The San Siro is a hugely imposing ground, the scale of the structure and the way it oozes history makes you privileged to be a part of the crowd. The game wasn’t great but we saw a superb goal by Ibrahimovic so we left happy (please find enclosed). Unlike Michael, I was certainly not disappointed with the home support, the Ultras create an intimidating atmosphere with their flares and rhythmic chanting, however it seems if you’re not an Ultra any atmosphere is almost frowned upon, we were twice asked to sit down way up in the rafters.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Milan and would happily return, if you don’t begrudge paying five euro’s a pint then the bars are vibrant and busy and if you do begrudge it then take advantage of the one euro cans of Peroni and Moretti as well. I’m not the first and I certainly won’t be the last gradult to be seduced by Milan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hLEwAKszdo&feature=player_embedded

No comments:

Post a Comment